Saturday, November 9, 2013

Easy Peasy Hummus

Sometimes, I just like things to be simple.

This hummus recipe is simple, and it leaves a lot of room for personal taste.  I love garlicky hummus, and with a kick of lemon juice?  SO good.  This simple hummus does not bother with tahini, oh no.  Tahini is expensive, and I don't know that I'd use it enough to justify the cost.


How easy is this recipe?  So easy.


My ingredients:


Can of chick peas (YES!  Canned.  I'm not joking around about the "simple" thing.)

Clove of garlic, minced (I just pressed it through my garlic press)
Scant ½ teaspoon ground cumin
A few cranks of fresh ground pepper
Pinch of kosher salt
Juice of one lemon

You see, this is all very scientific and precise.


I make this with an immersion blender.  You can use a blender, a food processor, or (my mother's preferred method!) a potato masher.  If you go the masher route, my mother says the key is to use a tall, cylindrical container, like the tall quart Ziploc containers.


Drain and rinse chick peas and dump into your container o' mixing.  Add ingredients.




Mash that business up.



Phase three: Hummus!



It really is as simple as that.  I haven't added things like roasted red pepper yet, but the next time I roast peppers, I plan to!






No comments:

Post a Comment