Thursday, October 17, 2013

No Chicken and Dumplings

I don't eat meat.  I don't have a problem with eating meat, but I don't know enough yet about my local farmers to buy meat from them.  So until I do my research, veg it is!  I like knowing where my food comes from, which was reinforced by the mispackaged beef in Europe last year, and now the new regulations regarding processed chicken.

ANYWHOODLE.

I got this recipe from a veg friend of mine. It's from Project Kale.  You guys, this is SO GOOD, and add whatever veggies you want!  I didn't have any potatoes the first time I made it, but it was thick and starchy enough without them.  I don't think I'll add potatoes in the future, either.

This was from round 1, so pretend there are more veggies


Ingredients:
Ingredients in paretheses I did not use.  Asterisks indicate my additions.

1 quart vegetable broth or stock.  (Chicken would be fine, beef maybe not quite as tasty considering the sage added.)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped (surprise!)
(2-3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced)
*quarter of a zucchini, skin on, cut into chunks.  1cm cubes?
1 C frozen peas
* 1 C green beans, about 1 inch pieces.
* 1/2 C coarsly chopped mushrooms
* generous handful of spinach
1 bay leaf
2+ tsp poultry seasoning (nom nom sage!)
salt and pepper
2 T flour

For the dumplings:
21/4 C Bisquick
2/3 C water
Big handful of fresh parsley, chopped.

In a stock pot, heat up about a quarter cup of broth and the bay leaf.  Add the onion and celery (with a dash of salt!), and allow them to simmer (covered) for about a minute before adding the carrot.  Cover and simmer for another minute or two.  This would be when you'd want to add the potatoes.  Add any other veggie that won't fall apart at this time: zucchini, peas, green beans.  Simmer for about five minutes from when you added your first veg.  Add mushrooms, and give it all another minute.  If your broth is evaporating too quickly, add a bit more.  Keeping the pot covered will avoid that, and will help your veg become tender pretty quickly.

Simmered veggies, coated with flour


Add your two tablespoons of flour, and stir so as many veggies are coated as possible.  Add two teaspoons full of poultry seasoning, and then add the remainder of the broth to your pot.  Cover, and bring to a boil.

While the broth is heating up, make your dumplings: add your chopped parsley and a few dashes of poultry seasoning to the Bisquick, and mix it with your hands.  Add the water, and separate into walnut-sized pieces.

Once the veg and broth are boiling, drop the dough balls into the water and cover the pot.  Allow the dumplings to steam for ten minutes, add spinach, and cook 30 second to a minute more.

The broth should now be stew-like, and also delicious.


The last time I made this,  I did not have dumplings...I omitted the Bisquick, water, and parsley, and just boiled the broth, adding spinach right before I removed it from heat.  I may have added a bit more flour to thicken things up.  I froze half of what I made, and it freezes well!


2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely make this. It sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete